John L. DeGrazier Lodge #1349 was founded in January 1955 under the authority of the Grand Lodge of Texas of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. John L. DeGrazier Lodge #1349 is located at 5300 Forest Lane, Dallas, TX 75244 and is in Masonic District 14F. Although DeGrazier Lodge owns the building, this building is also the home to Keystone Lodge #1143, Dallas Lodge #760, Order of the Eastern Star Chapter 881, and Dallas Assembly #33 International Order of Rainbow Girls.
For quite some time the leaders of the Scottish Rite Valley of Dallas had been considering the possibility to sponsoring a Masonic Lodge somewhere north of Northwest Highway as the city was experiencing considerable expansion into north Dallas. The idea was discussed from time to time but no action was taken until January 1955, at which time a concrete plan was proposed.
On January 5, 1955 an organization meeting of 25 Scottish Rite Masons met on a Sunday afternoon at St. Michaels and All Angels Episcopal Church that was growing rapidly in north Dallas. The meeting was presided over by the District Deputy Grand Master, for the Grand Lodge of Texas, the Right Worshipful Bill McAnnally. The name of lodge was voted on and approved as John L. DeGrazier in honor of a man who's civic and Masonic contributions had spanned over many decades. The Lodge Officers elected on that day were both leaders in Masonry and in the north Texas community.
Highland Park Lodge #1150 graciously invited the newly formed John L. DeGrazier Lodge to use their facilities until we had a lodge of our own. The second meeting of John L. DeGrazier Lodge was held at Highland Park Lodge, at which meeting Highland Park Lodge presented John L. DeGrazier Lodge #1349 a beautiful Bible and Brother John L. DeGrazier's Templar Sword. Hella Shrine presented the furniture of the Lodge at that same meeting.
In October 1955, John L. DeGrazier Lodge #1349 conferred its first Master Mason Degree. Brother James Paule, son of the Senior Warden M.M. Paule, and Godson of Brother John L. DeGrazier, was raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason.
On December 19, 1955, a called meeting of the Grand Lodge of Texas was opened in the Scottish Rite Temple in Dallas for the purpose of presenting charters to four Lodges then Under Dispensation. At this meeting Charter #1349 was presented to John L. DeGrazier Lodge #1349. John L. DeGrazier Lodge #1349 continued to grow though out the Masonic year, and on June 26, 1956 the first regular Installations of Officers were held when Brother M.M. Paule was installed as the Worshipful Master.
On January 13, 1959 the Lodge voted to purchase the present lot to build a permanent home. The ground breaking for the current building at 5300 Forest Lane took place on March 1, 1962, the corner stone was leveled on June 2, 1962 and the official dedication of the building was held on September 17, 1962.
The Masonic fraternity, brought to the American colonies in the mid- eighteenth century, was well established in all of the United States by 1820. Among the first Americans to migrate to Texas in the 1820s were a number of Masons, including Stephen F.Austin. Austin attempted to organize a Masonic lodge in 1828...Read More Download PDF (45KB)
A short paper on the controversial subject of women and Masonry from the Grand Lodge of Texas.Read More Download PDF (28.9KB)
We appreciate your visit and hope you enjoy our content. If you have questions or are looking to become a member in the Dallas area please Contact Us